Previous   Next   Back to walkabout

The Ebenezer Wesley Chapel (Primitive Methodist) was converted from a barn ca. 1840. Deeds date back to 1700ish. Registered title in 1965. The chapel was converted to a house in 1974. Three of the original four cornerstones are still visible today: "Harberton", "Ebenezer" and "Lancashire" (where the movement started); the fourth would say "Wesley".
The bus shelter, made of elm, has changed little in nearly 30 years.

chapel1973_mg01.jpg (62466 bytes) chapel1974_mg02.jpg (68602 bytes)
Before - 1973 After - 1974

Note also: Kelly's 1939 Directory of Devon states "there is a Mission chapel at East Leigh, erected in 1894"