Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer 1870
Transcribed By Sybil CAMERON
Checked by Val HENDERSON, former OPC
HARBERTON is a village and parish in Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1221 inhabitants, and 5755 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Coleridge, East Devonshire; 2 ½ miles south-west from Totnes. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Bartholomew, B.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1847, at £535 per annum, with residence and 74 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, who are also appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted at £400 per annum. The church is a fine ancient edifice, in the Decorated style, with noble tower containing six bells; in the interior is a handsome octagon stone pulpit, with figures of the Apostles carved on the sides. There is a National School for children of both sexes. There are 11 houses and cottages with gardens, and 18 acres of land, producing about £48 per annum, which is expended in the service of the church, in lieu of church rates, and in the repairs of the schoolhouse. William Huxham, in 1630, left a blacksmith’s shop, orchard, and garden, which produce £8 per annum, the proceeds to be applied for the benefit of the poor. There are almshouses for ten poor people, which were erected under the trusts of the will of Henry Wyse, about 1680. There are also other small charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor. Here is a rock of trapstone, so hard as to resist the power of the mason’s chisel. The manorial rights are the property of the various freeholders.
HARBERTONFORD is a hamlet of this parish, which was formed into a separate ecclesiastical district in 1860. The church is a neat edifice, dedicated to St. Peter, and was erected in 1859. The living is a vicarage, valued at £170 per annum, with residence, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alexander Popham Luscombe, B.A., and the patronage of the Vicar of Harberton. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was erected in 1859, and the Independents have a place of worship here. The extensive tool manufactory of Messrs. Knapman and Son is situate at Hill Mills, and there is a small woollen factory, both of which are on the banks of the River Harbourn. There is also a slate quarry here.
BELSFORD, LUSCOMBE, EAST and WEST LEIGH, and ENGLEBOUNE *, are hamlets forming part and parcel of this parish.
Clergy and Gentry.
Bartholomew Rev. Robert, B.A., vicar
Elliott Mrs. Catherine
Farquharson, R.N., Esq., Dundridge
Friend Mr. Nicholas, Disting
Hodge Captain, Sandwell
Luscombe Mrs., Upper Ashridge
Paige John Brown, Esq., M.A., Englebourne
Pendarves Mrs., Tristford
Watson Richard Huxham, Esq., J.P., Dorsley
Watson Mr. Robert, Hallalen, East Leigh
Webber Charles, Esq., J.P., Winsland
Trades and Professions
Andrews Mrs. Elizabeth, sub-postmistress
Bennett Richard, baker and grocer
Blackler George, farmer, Belsford
Blackler John, farmer, Blakemore
Chapple James, farmer, Cottage
Coaker Jonas, farmer, "Blue Posts" inn
Creese Edward, farmer, Ashridge
Crossing Henry, farmer, Fletchers Coombe
Fairweather Robert, boot and shoemaker
Farley John, farmer, Moore
Foale Henry, farmer, East Leigh
Foale Henry, farmer, Preston
Fowler Henry William, miller and farmer, Belsford mill
Hamand Henry, farmer, West Leigh
Hannaford Miss Jemima, dairywoman, East Leigh
Hardy Richd. John, general dealer, "Commercial" hotel
Harris Thomas William, farmer, Langford
Harris William, yeoman, Belsford
Harvey Thomas, farmer, Blakemore
Heath Stephen, blacksmith, East Leigh
Knapman John, farmer, Tristford farm
Knapman John and Son, edge tool manufacturers, Hill mills
Lake James England, National schoolmaster
Lamble Jacob, dairyman and shopkeeper
Martyn William, farmer, Dundridge
Middleton Edwin Leonard, slate merchant and farmer, Gosworthy
Parnell William, mason, "Church House"
Peeke Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Hernford
Purday John, dairyman, Lower Luscombe
Rowe Joseph, farmer, Whiteley
Sercombe George, farmer, Lower Luscombe
Soper William, blacksmith
Stranger John, farmer, Vicarage farm
Symons Philip, farmer, Lower Washborn
Taylor Herman, farmer, Stancombe
Taylor John and James, farmers, East Leigh
Thompson Wm., farmer, Higher Luscombe
Torbay John, farmer, Eastleigh
Tope William, farmer, Stonehills
Tucker Alfred, farmer, Hazard
Tucker John, farmer, Roalster bridge
Tucker Wm., carpenter, Lower Luscombe
Varder Stephen, builder and machinist
Voisey Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer, Moor
Watson Miss Jane, ladies’ school, Hallalen, East Leigh
White Thomas Richard, thatcher, "Globe"
Whiteway Edmund, farmer, Leigh cross, East Leigh
Whiteway Henry, farmer, Lower Luscombe
Whiteway William Walter, farmer, West Leigh
Widdicombe James, farmer, Englebourne
Woodley John Alfred, miller and farmer, Crowdy mill
Clergy and Gentry.
Cate John Thomas, Esq.
Luscombe Rev. Alexander Popham, B.A., The Vicarage
Paige Richard Clanch, Esq., Harbourne villa
Tippett Mr. Thomas
Trades and Professions
Abbott Samuel, horsebreaker, "Maltsters’ Arms"
Arnold Samuel, shoemaker and shopkeeper
Browne Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Brown James John, carpenter
Brown Thomas Langdon, manager at serge factory
Browne William, carpenter
Cape Joseph Thomas, surgeon
Coles Stephen, mason, farmer, and deputy registrar of births and deaths
Churchward John, serge manufacturer
Curyer William, shopkeeper
Ellis George, brewer
Hill John, marine store dealer
Lavers John, tailor, "Red Lion"
Luscombe Philip, farmer, Youlden
Marramore Henry, butcher and shopkeeper **
Nicholls Miss Augusta, straw bonnetmaker, milliner, and dressmaker
Nicholls Thomas, National schoolmaster, and registrar of births and deaths for Harberton district
Nicholls William, wheelwright
Parnell Eli, farmer
Parnell William, farmer
Payne Thomas, dairyman
Payne Thomas, jun., dairyman and shopkeeper
Rogers William, baker and shopkeeper
Searle William, cooper
Soper Richard, shoemaker
Soper Wm. Tippett, hay and corn dealer, "New" inn
Squires George, farmer
Tippett William, carpenter
Treby Henry, blacksmith
Post Office, Harberton – Mrs. E. Andrews, sub-postmistress. Letters from Totnes arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7.45 p.m.
Post Office, Harbertonford – Philip Bulley, sub-postmaster. Letters from Totnes arrive at 5.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7.20 p.m. Totnes is the nearest money order office for both places
National School, Harberton – James England Lake, master
National School, Harbertonford – Thomas Nicholls, master: Mrs. Ann Nicholls, mistress
Registrar of Births and Deaths for Harberton District – Thomas Nicholls
Carrier – A wagon for passengers and goods passes through Harbertonford from Kingsbridge to Totnes at 1p.m. daily : returning at 6 p.m.
ENGLEBOUNE - the R has been omitted.
Marramore - Should this read Narramore?