Back

Harberton 1889

Transcribed from - Kelly's Directory 1889
by Val Henderson (former OPC)

Held at Plymouth City Library, Local Studies.

HARBERTON is a parish and village, situated in a pleasant valley, through which the river Harbourne flows, about 2 1/2 miles south-west from Totnes, where is the nearest railway station, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Coleridge, petty sessional division of Stanborough and Coleridge, Totnes union and county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Andrew is a fine edifice of stone in the Decorated and Perendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a lofty western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 beautiful bells, all cast by Thomas Bilbie in 1762 : the chancel retains three canopied stone stalls and a piscina, and there is a mural brass on black marble, erected by Major Trist, of Tristford, in memory of his son, who died in India : the stone pulpit is octagonal, richly carved with foliage, and has figures of apostles in niches : the fine wood screen was thoroughly restored at the cost of the late Mrs. Pendarves, of Tristford : the font is Anglo-Norman. The register of the baptisms dates from the year 1625 ; marriages 1625 ; burials 1625. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge 502, net yearly value 369, including 74 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and Held since 1860 by the Rev. Robert Bartholomew B.A. of Exeter Collage, Oxford. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1842 for 535, of which sum 80 a year is paid to the vicar of Harbertonford, and the rectorial for 400 yearly ; the latter belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, but are leased to W. H. Helyar esq. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The parish lands, which have been vested in trust from an early period, comprise eleven houses and cottages with gardens and 18 acres of land, called "Cockwells", let for about 24 a year : the clear rent is applied in aid of the church rates, except what is necessary for repairing Harberton schoolhouse. A blacksmith's shop, house, orchard and garden, let for 8, were left, about 1630, by William Huxham, for the benefit of the poor. Here is an almshouse of ten small rooms for as many poor people, built about 1680, in pursuance of the will of Henry Wise ; other charities amount to 20 yearly. In this parish are rocks of excessively hard trapstone, and a remarkable metamorphic rock named the "Berrystone", consisting of organic remains, coral &c. : here are also quarries producing blue slate. Harberton gives the title of Vicount (1791) in the Irish peerage to the family of Pomeroy. The manor was anciently held by the Valletorts, but the land is now all freehold. The principal landowners are Major John Fincher Trist D.L., J.P. Richard Orlebar esq. J.P. of Hinwick, Podington, Wellingborough, Northants, John Browne Paige-Browne esq. M.A., J.P. of Englebourne, Horace Augustus Helyer M.A., J.P. of Coker Court, near Yeovil, Somerset, Charles William Tayeur esq. of 40 Stanhope gardens, London SW, the Duke of Cleveland K.G. Richard Huxham Watson esq. J.P. of Brook, Totnes and Thomas Richard White. The soil is generally light and fertile ; subsiol, dunstone and slate ; the crops are wheat, barley and roots, but the land is chiefly in pasture. The parish includes six hamlets, viz.:- HARBERTONFORD, 2 miles south ; BELSFORD, 1 north-west ; EAST LEIGH, 1 south-west ; LUSCOMBE, 2 south-east and ENGLEBOURNE, 1 south. The acreage is 5,801 ; rateable value, 11.373 ; the population in 1881 was 1,384.

Sexton, Robert Ryder.

HARBERTONFORD, so named from its situation at the confluence of the Harbourne and Englebourne streams, is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed March 31, 1860, from the civil parish of Harberton. The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Decorated style, erected in 1859, and consists of chancel with apse, transept, nave, north porch and a small belfry with spire, containing one bell, dated 1859 ; the chancel windows are stained : the church will seat 280 persons. The register dates from the year 1859. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 290, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Harberton, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Alfred Gill B.A. of Merton College, Oxford. Here are Congregational and Calvinistic Baptist chapels. On the banks of the small river Harbourne is a large woollen factory kept by Messrs. John Churchward and Sons, employing about 100 persons, including women and children ; and in the same valley are Hill Mills, the edge tool manufactory of Messre. Knapman and Son. The principal landowners are William Bastard esq. of Slapton, Charles George Mason esq. , J.B. Paige-Browne esq. and Robert Harvey esq. The area is 1,325 acres ; the population in 1881 was 630.

Parish Clerk, John Narrowmore.

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Devon added).- Richard Andrews, receiver. Letters arrive at 5 a.m. & 5.10 p.m. ; dispatched at 2.20 p.m. & 8 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Totnes.

POST, M.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Harbertonford. (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Devon added).- James John Browne, receiver. Letters arrive at 4.40 a.m. ; dispatched at 8.19 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Totnes.

SCHOOLS:-

National (mixed), built with schoolhouse, in 1872, at a cost of 230, & enlarged in 1883, for 130 children ; average attendance, 100 ; Mr. F. Blight, master

National, Harbertonford (mixed), erected in 1849 & enlarged in August 1881, for 150 children ; avarage attendance, 135 ; Edmund Kenshole, master ; Mrs. Kenshole, mistress.

Harberton

Bartholomew Rev. Robert B.A. Vicarage

Smith The Hon. Mrs. Jervoise, Sandwell

Symons Mrs. Dundridge

Trist Maj. Jn. Fincher D.L., J.P. Tristford

Commercial.

Andrews Thomas, cowkeeper

Bennett Thomas Hy, shopkpr. & baker

Blackler Geo. Callard, frmr. Blakemoor

Brown Philip, carpenter

Cater John, farmer, Blue Post

Coaker Jonas, cowkeeper

Ellis Samuel, farmer, Ashridge

French William, farmer, Cholwell

Hannaford Frank, Globe P.H.

Hardy Richard John, Commercial inn

Hood Sidney, farmer, Tristford

Knapman John & Son, edge tool manufacturers, Hill mills

Lamble Jacob, farmer

Lee John, farmer

Mann Peter, farmer, Dooseley

Parnell John, farmer, Stancombe

Parnell Wm. Church House inn, & mason

Selway Samuel, farmer & miller (water)

Shinner Edwin, shoe maker

Smith Thomas, farmer, Gosworthy

Trout John, blacksmith

Tucker Alfd. farmer & lime mer. Hazard

Varder Stephen, carpenter & farmer

Ward Daniel, farmer, Whiteley

Warren Henry, farmer, Preston

White William, thatcher

Widdicombe Thomas, shoe maker

Wills William, farmer, Moor

Harbertonford

Clark Richard, Brooklyn house

Gill Rev. Alfred B.A. Vicarage

Paige Richd. Cranch, Pear Tree cottage

Peake Mrs.

Smarridge Robert

Commercial.

Ackrell Peter, marine store dealer

Ackrell Peter. jun. marine store dealer

Berry John, farmer, Low. Washbourne

Browne Jas. Jn. carpenter & wood turner

Browne John James, shopkeeper

Browne Thomas, carpenter

Browne William, carpenter

Churchward John & Sons, woollen manufacturers, seed merchants & farmers (James Bragg, general manager), Mill Town farm ; and at Buckfastleigh

Crossing Hy. farmer, Fletcher's coombe

Eden John Crocker, manager of Englbourne Slate quarry

Finch Henry, farmer

Grills William Gidley, brewer & butcher

Hannaford William, stone mason

Harris George, thatcher

Holmes John, shoe maker

Hurson William, New inn

Johns John Peathey, butcher

Lamble Lewis (Mrs.), baker

Leach Henry, stone mason

Narramore Elkanah, frmr. Rolster bridge

Narramore Henry, farmer

Peeke John, farmer, Hernaford

Randle Peter, farmer

Rowe Henry, farmer

Slooman John, baker

Smith William, shopkeeper

Treby Samuel, blacksmith

Terby Thomas, Red Lion P.H. *(transcript note- is this an original printing error ?Treby/Terby)

Woodley John Alfred, miller (water) & farmer, Crowdy mill

Belsford

Blackler Robert Elliott, farmer

Bowden John, farmer

Lillicrap John, farmer

Luscombe

Elliott William, farmer

Martyn William, farmer

Purday John, dairyman

Sercombe George, farmer

Tucker James, carpenter

Whiteway Henry, farmer

East Leigh

Foale Mrs. Tozerton

Adams Charles, farmer

Edmonds George, farmer

Heath Stephen, blacksmith

Pawson Ada (Miss), ladies' schl. Tozerton

Soper John, farmer

Whiteway Edmund, farmer

Winsborough Chas. cowkeeper, Leigh mill

Watson Jane (Miss), ladies' boarding school, Hallalen

West Leigh

Hannaford John, farmer

Whiteway William, farmer

Englebourne

Paige-Browne John Browne M.A. Great Englebourne

Easterbrook Thomas, farmer

Englebourne Slate Quarry (John Crocker Eden, manager)

Rouse James, farmer

Rowe Edward, farmer

Wroth Samuel, farmer