Back

Harberton 1866

Transcribed from - Kelly's Directory of Devonshire 1866
by Val Henderson (former OPC)

HARBERTON is a parish, in the southern division of the county, the hundred of Coleridge, union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, and the diocese of Exeter; the village is situated in a pleasent vally, about 2 1/2 miles south-south-west from Totnes. The church of St. Andrew is a fine specimen of the Decorated style, and has a lofty embattled tower containing a peel of 6 beautiful bells: the stone pulpit is octagonal, richly carved, and has statues of the Apostles on its sides; the screen is in the same rich style of carving; the font is Anglo-Norman, and in the chancel are three richly canopied stalls, and a fine altar-screen. The reguster dates from 1640. The living is a vicarage, annuel value 500, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and held by the Rev. Robert Bartholomew, B.A., of Exeter College, Oxford.The Thithes were commuted in 1847, the vicarial for 535, and the rectorial for 400 per annum; the latter belong to the patrons, but are leased to W.H. Helyar, Esq. There is a national school. The parish lands, &c., which have been vested in trust from an early period, comprise eleven houses and cottages with gardens, &c., and 18 acres of land, called Cockwells, and let for about 48 per annum, subject to fines on the renewal of the leases. The clear rent and tithes are applied in aid of the church rates, except what is necessary for repairing Harberton schoolhouse. A blacksmith's shop, house, orchard, and garden, let for 6, were left for the benefit of the poor by William Huxham, about 1630. Here is an almshouse of ten small rooms for as many poor people, built, pursuant to the will of Henry Wyse, about 1680. In this parish is a remarkable rock of trapstone, so hard as to resist the mason's chisel. The soil is generally light and fertile. The manor was anciently held by the Valletorts; but was dismembered many years since, and now belongs to many freeholders. The population in 1861 was 1,221. The parish comprises 5,755 acres of land, including six hamlets, viz.- HARBERTONFORD, BELSFORD, LUSCOMBE, EAST LEIGH, WEST LEIGH, and ENGLEBOURNE.

Harbertonford is a hamlet. The district church of St. Peter was erected in 1859. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value 170, with house, in the gift of the vicar, and held by the Rev. Alexander Popham Luscombe, B.A., of St John's College, Cambridge; the vicar pays 80 part of this stipend. Here is a National school, erected in 1849, in the Tudor style. On the banks of the small river Harbourn is an old woollen factory, now partly occupied as a corn-mill; and in the same valley is the large edge tool manufactory of Messrs. Knapman and Son, called Hill Mills.

POST OFFICE - Richard Andrews, receiver. Letters arrive from Totnes, which is the nearest money order office, at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 7 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENT. - Liverpool & London & Globe, P. Symons, jun. Harbertonford

National School, James England Lake, master, Mrs. Lake, mistress

POST OFFICE, Harbertonford. - Philip Bulley, receiver. Letters arrive from Totnes at 5.30 a.m.; & dispatched at 7.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Totnes.

National School, Harbertonford, Thomas Nicholls, master; Mrs. Ann Nicholls, mistress

Harberton.

Bartholomew Rev. Robert, B.A. [vicar]

Distin Henry, esq. Whiteley

Farquharson R.N. esq Dundridge

Luscombe Mrs. Upper Ashridge

Pendarves Mrs. Tristford house

Stacy Francis Edward, esq. Sandwell

Watson Richard Huxham, esq. J.P. Dorseley

Webber Charles, esq. Winsland

COMMERCIAL.

Andrews Richard, boot & shoe maker

Blackler John, farmer, Blackmore

Coaker Jonas, Blue Post inn

Creese Edward, farmer, Fletcher's Coombe

Easterbrook Thomas, farmer, Higher vicarage

Fairweather Robert, boot & shoe maker

Farley John, farmer, Moore

Foale John, farmer, Preston

Fowler John, miller & farmer, Belsford mill

Harris John, thatcher & farmr. Stone hills

Harris William, farmer, Langford

Harvey Elizabeth (Mrs.), Church House inn

Harvey Thomas, farmer, Blakemore

Hoppin Richard, farmer, Woodcourt

Knapman John & Son, edge tool manufacturers, Hill mills

Knapman John, farmer, Tristford

Lamble Jacob, baker

Payne Thomas, jun. farmer, Cottage

Peek Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Harnaford

Robins Geo. miller & farmer, Crowdy mill

Searle Thomas, grocer & baker

Soper William, blacksmith

Symons Philip, farmer, Lower Washborn

Taylor Herman, farmer, Stancombe

Tucker Frederick, farmer, Hazard

Tucker John, farmer, Roster bridge

Tucher Richard, farmer & butcher, Higher Vicarage

Varder Stephen, carpenter

White John, Thatcher

White Thomas, Globe inn

Harbertonford.

Puxley Mr. William, Beenley

Quick John Roy, esq. M.D. Myrtle Cot

Luscombe Rev. Alexander Popham, B.A. Parsonage

COMMERCIAL.

Abbot Samuel, Maltsters' Arms

Arnold Samuel, shopkeeper

Bovey John, shopkeeper

Browne Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Browne James John, carpenter

Browne William, carpenter

Coles Stephen, stone mason

Harvey John, shoe maker

Holmes John, shoe maker

Lavers John, Red Lion, & tailor

Narrowmore Henry, shopkeeper

Nicholls William, wheelwright

Parnell Eli, farmer

Payne Thomas, jun. miller

Payne Thomas, sen. New inn

Payne Thomas, dairyman & blacksmith

Quick John Roy, M.D. surgeon

Searle William, cooper

Soper Richard, shoe maker

Tippett William, carpenter

Treby Henry, blacksmith

Belsford.

Blackler George, farmer

Purday John, dairyman, Lower Luscombe

Sercombe Geo. farmer, Lower Luscombe

Thompson Wm. farmer, Higher Luscombe

Tucker Wm. carpenter, Lower Luscombe

Whiteway Henry, farmer, Low. Luscombe

East Leigh.

Creese Edward, blacksmith

Foale Henry, farmer

Hannaford George, hay dealer

Heath Stephen, blacksmith

Tooley John, farmer

Whiteway William, farmer

West Leigh.

Stranger John, farmer

Whiteway Edmund, farmer

Englebourne.

Paige John Browne, esq

Widdicombe James, farmer